August 21, 2009

Mix it up!

A few days ago Megan says to me:

Remember that really awkward mixer we went to last year?

A: Which one, there were so many awkward mixers...
(No, really, I think we went to 4 or 5 last year.)
M: The REALLY awkward one at Broad Street with the loud music.
A: Yes, I remember it.
M: Guess what we have this Thursday!?!
A: *crickets chirping*
M: It's at Duke Memorial this year though, it won't be that bad...
A: OK, fine, I'll go.
M: (Looks pleased in a slightly evil way.)

We went, it really wasn't that awkward, but it's always strange when I go to these Divinity school gatherings because the conversation goes like this:

Random Person: So what year are you?
A: Oh, I'm not in school. Well, I'm not a divinity student.
RP: (Generally looking for a way out of the conversation) So...what do you do? (aka Why are you here crashing our awesome Divine Par-tay?)
A: I'm here with my roommate Megan (point at Megan who is a social butterfly compared to my wall-flower) who is a second year. I'm in school for massage therapy right now.
RP: (With re-gained interest) Massage therapy? You can practice on me.
***Here's where the conversation has shifted since I only have 2 1/2 days of school left.***
A: Actually I'm done this weekend.
RP: (no idea what to say)
*awkward moment*
A: But I won't be licensed until probably the end of September or so.
RP: OH.
A: So, where are you from? (Good grief...change the topic away from me...)

Really, I have made some fantastic friends at the Div school. There is nothing better than walking into a room full of people and getting hugs. I love hugs.

So, I'm done with school in 2 1/2 days. And it's weird. I've been here for over a year. I don't know anything else, but I'm almost a bona fide massage therapist.

If you want a massage it's going to cost you.

Unless you're my mother (or Megan if I'm feeling generous).

Or a third roommate whom I can seduce with massage so we can have a place big enough for me to have a "treatment space." Anyone? Anyone?

1 comment :

  1. Why don't you open your "treatment space" here in Chicago! I'd be happy to find a place large enough! ;)

    ReplyDelete