December 29, 2009

Reading Blogs

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with reading blogs.

Friend's blogs.

Blogs of people whom I don't know, but I think I know through the internets blogs.

Basically, any blog that I find interesting.

Do you like to read blogs? How do you do it?

I'm addicted to my RSS feed through Google Reader. I follow 40 blogs and websites. I blame Christina who told me it was right there in my gmail account. My life has never been the same since.

If I hear about a new blog and enjoy the current post and a few past posts, I'll add it to my subscriptions and follow for a few weeks before deciding if it makes the cut or not.

Reasons I love my Google RSS feed:
1. It's through gmail, which in my opinion kicks the boot-tay of every other free email option. (If you don't have gmail and want it, just let me know and I'll help you out....one other thing I love about gmail is the ability to gchat right from your inbox. LOVE IT!)
2. I don't have to go to 40 different websites to see if there's something new, it tells me if there is a new post(s).
3. My bookmarks on my computer are easier to organize because of my RSS feed.
4. I can read everything on one page simply by scrolling through.
5. I can search all the websites that I follow regularly for a post I may have read once upon a time by using the search button (awesome when you forget to bookmark that awesome looking cheesecake recipe).
6. Because it's a part of gmail, I can access it from ANY computer I sign in to, not just my personal computer. If I happen to be on vacation...or have a dead battery or something.

Reasons I don't love my Google Reader:
1. I generally read everything within the Google reader, meaning that I miss out on the pretty aesthetic of people's pages. For example: If my blog were in your RSS feed, you would see the post and the pictures, but not the sidebars or header or background color.
2. Sometimes it messes up and I miss something.

So, if you want to do a little more reading about the RSS feed and options or other ways to conveniently organize your favorite websites I recommend this article (which was passed to me by my dear friend, Mary Lee.)
http://www.slate.com/id/2217353/

Just check it out and see what you think.

(This post is brought to you by the letters X, Z and Q [which are the letters in Scrabble that I never know what to do with] and the vowel E. It's also dedicated to my mother whose bookmarks are OUT OF CONTROL.)

1 comment :