July 8, 2009

Tattoos

I like tattoos.

Let me clarify. I like good tattoos. I like tattoos that are works of art, that mean something, are special and thought provoking.

And I think that tattoos are sexy, show confidence (when the work is good and cohesive with personality) and a little badass.

I have two. I like them a lot. (I don't think my tattoos are sexy. That is definitely NOT why I got them.)

The first one I got in December 2007 is a dove on my foot.

It reminds me of peace, freedom, faith, the Church of the Brethren and letting myself go out and see the world around me. I know it's a lot for one little bird. I waited about two years (two years! Who knew I had such patience?) before I got it.

I told my parents about it after the fact.

Dad: "Cool."
Mom: *purses her lips and says nothing*

It went about like I expected.

My second tattoo is on my inner wrist and I got it in April 2009.

I love it.

I'll tell you more about the meaning behind it some other time. I waited about 8 months before I got this one.

My rules before I get a tattoo:
1. I have to want it for a MINIMUM of 6 months before I get it.
2. This is permanent, would I show my grandmother? Would I want my future children to see it? Grandchildren? (if the answer is no to any of those questions, the tattoo is a no-go)
3. Will the shape of the tattoo shift if I gain or lose weight or if I get pregnant? (if the answer is yes, the tattoo is a no-go)
4. When I talk about it with people I trust, what is their reaction? Is my idea totally lame? not for me? really rad? beautiful?

Right now, I want to show you some of my favorite and LEAST favorite tattoos I've seen lately. (Oh and I'm completely stealing these pictures from this website. The name is naughty. Sorry.)


I think this is adorable. I love the graphic quality of the bird and the clouds. I would like to see it from another angle.


I'm a HUGE fan of the tree. I've been thinking about getting one (someday, not any time soon.) I like the idea of the things you're rooted to and growing in: family, friends, ideals, morals, beliefs being represented with a tree. It's art, it doesn't have to be literal.


Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the coi tattoo. I think Miami Ink (Did someone mention sexy men? Did the faces of MI just pop into my head? yes.) might have overdone it for me.

*gasp*
I know, I didn't really mean it...
This coi is bee-you-tee-ful, I'm loving the fins; the way they swirl on this man's torso.


I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of words. Don't act like you're surprised. And I love this, the size, the location, the font, the simplicity: beautiful.

The world at your feet. So cool.

Now for tattoos I'm not such a fan of:


Really?!? You thought bacon was a good idea??

These are just a little scary...

If you were going for the intimidation factor...YOU WIN!


Q: Can you name the owner of this infamous tattoo?

Winnie the Pooh?!? That's why you should wait a while to see if you still want it after you think about it.

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment