July 23, 2009

hair

I am one of the few people I know who absolutely love their hair.

It's true. It took me about 20 years, but I love my hair.

It's curly, it straightens easily, it's quirky and fits with my personality. Granted, I have bad hair days. I may complain, but isn't that the way all love is?

My hair has been long,

(This was also a few pounds ago. Thank goodness.)

short,


reeeeally short


and normally it's length resides somewhere between the bottoms of my ears and my shoulders.


I recently went in to get a haircut.

I should have known things were bad when she started asking me about getting it cut dry or wet and didn't listen to anything I said.

"Umm...well, I just normally get it cut wet because my curls are different every day." Stylist walks away. She comes back. "I really just want it to be a little funky and fun, I like angles. You know stacked with lots of layers in the back."

"You mean, you want layers?"

REALLY?!? Have you ever seen a bob on people with curly hair? Can you say triangle-head? I can, oh geeze...this girl knows nothing.

So she starts snipping. I say snipping because she was ALL OVER THE PLACE. A little here a little there, "I'm trying not to put any tension in your hair." Really? Is it going to be even? Do you know what you're doing?

"There. What do you think?" She turns me around to look at the back. Well the back looks fine. "Ok, let's get you shampooed."

"But you didn't really blend in my bangs." Which I'd stated that I was growing out because of the mad humidity in North Carolina. "Well, you're growing them out." "Yes, but they need to be blended in in some way." "Oh I'll texturize them."

TEXTURIZE??? SHE CUT MY BANGS. THE ONES I'M GROWING OUT.

I have a haircut where only the backside of my head was touched and I have a short little 'fro of bangs in the front.

It was one of those moments when you think, hmm...I could ask her to do more, but would that be more harm than good? YES. Should I have her...NO, just shut your mouth, try not to look miserable and make it end.

When diffusing curly hair, please do not touch it constantly and then try to lift the hair by pulling one curl at a time out. The result is FRIZZ.

When applying product, please do not place the spray pump, ONE INCH from the head and spritz, thinking that three strategically (random) placed spritzes of this product is enough to combat FRIZZ.

When cutting hair, please cut on all parts of the head, it's 3-D, you can see it from all angles.

2 comments :

  1. Wow, i had a better haircut than you did... Sad day girl.

    (Love your tirades)

    My problem is that the instructor came by and showed her how to do something... and she is scared of the razor, so now one side of my hair is perfect, and the other is trying to catch up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want to see the new haircut! I'm sure you still are GORGEOUS!!! : )

    ReplyDelete