June 23, 2009

Prejudice

I often talk about my single-ness. It's one of those things, when you're 26 and single it sometimes feels like you have the plague.

What's wrong with me?
Why doesn't he like me?
Why is he too old?
Why is he gay?
Why is he married/in a relationship?
Why is he a loser?
Why? Why? WHY?

Am I going to be a Crazy Cat Lady?

So I ask myself these questions...and then I suck it up and I'm honest. As many qualities as I enjoy about men (I could go on for hours), I have those other nagging things that make me prejudiced about them.

So, I'm going to share my prejudices with you. One at a time, so as not to be too overwhelming.

My first prejudice:

Tenors.

I know it's ridiculous. I can't help it. I think if someone was an average to below average tenor, I might (might) be able to live with it. However, for those of you who know me well...there is only room for one diva in a relationship and that's going to have to be me.

I can't believe I just said that.

NOT that I haven't said it before (or thought it several times), but I don't think I've ever typed it. This is why I'm destined to be single.

Back to tenors...most of the tenors I've known over the years have this "thing," I don't know what to call it...maybe a stick up their butt? So the "thing" doesn't appeal to me. I don't know that I've ever even been attracted to a tenor. Even before I knew the vocal quality of his head tone.

Hmm...interesting.

I also think it has something to do with how I perceive masculinity and femininity in relationship to how I see myself and the things I hold around my own femininity.

So that's my first prejudice.

Please don't hold it against me. Please don't hate me.

Bring on the baritones, basses and tone-deaf singers (or non-singers)!



(side note--I'm apologizing now for all the ellipses in this post.)
(and my out of control cleavage)

1 comment :

  1. I love it.

    Josh is a tenor. Luckily, I'm an alto and not a trained one at that, so he can be the diva. :)

    ReplyDelete