December 24, 2009

Momlene's Sugar Cookies

Maggie's mom's name is Marlene, but Maggie always calls her "Momlene" so I do too.

It's only right.
Momlene made these cookies for Maggie's senior recital a couple of years ago and it's my new favorite sugar cookie recipe.

Instead of granulated sugar it contains...powdered sugar. It's both the best dough you can eat--silky, soft and sweet and makes a tender, delicious cookie.

YUM!

I doubled the recipe since we have an enormous family and my dad is a bit of a sugar-cookie monster.


Here's a word of advice: If you're at your mom's house and she has random sticks of butter in her fridge and you think "Well, I'm using 6 sticks so I'll just use up these ones..." DON'T. One of the sticks might be bad. Not rancid enough to ruin your entire batch of cookies, but bad enough that you (with your amazing palate) could taste that something was a leeeetle off in the plain cookies. Use the new butter that's still in the box.




Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Then get to rolling and cutting and baking.


NEKKID COOKIES!!!


So, I have a thing about measuring. Especially when it comes to frosting. I should probably be better about this, but as of right now, I'm just too cocky. I know my icing tastes good whether I measure or not. Please don't hold my arrogance against me.

Buttercream is my favorite flavor-wise. It doesn't exactly harden well, but it just tastes SOOOO good.

And you naked cookies will need some cover-up.


I made some brown frosting for the trunks of the Christmas trees and had some spare. For my father the cookie-monster (mostly because he loves frosting) I made two of these:
I like to call them turd cookies. He found them to be delightful.

Momlene's Sugar Cookies

2 1/4 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 C butter, softened
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
3 3/4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

Cream sugar and butter. Mix egg with vanilla and add to creamed mixture. Mix in dry ingredients. Chill 2-3 hours. Roll out on a floured surface. Cut in desired shapes - 1/4 inch thick. Bake 8 - 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

Amy's Make-It-Yourself Buttercream

ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp almond extract
3-4 Tbsp milk
2 lbs powdered sugar

Cream butter and extracts until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired consistency and taste is reached. Add milk to thin frosting if necessary.

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment