March 11, 2014

Corn Salad

I'm moving everything from the cooking closet [my other blog that has been inactive for over a year] over here to MN365. I'm decluttering. Hope it's not too annoying! (-:

---------------------------------------------------------
This is from Summer 2012.
DSC_1367.JPG
I'm home in Kansas and we've had corn out the wazoo this week! Therefore, I made a salad.
DSC_1367.JPG
While I was cooking this was happening. Have you seen the sunset [and sunrise] in Kansas? BEST SKIES EVER. I view it as Kansas' claim to fame.
Not basketball.
Not wheat.
Not sunflowers.
Not tornados.
SKY.
DSC_1367.JPG
I've been kind of into salads this summer and I could get into grilled corn, except I don't have a grill, so I'll grill when I can.
DSC_1367.JPG
This is one that's been on my mind since last summer when Sarah made it for a barbecue months and month ago. Seriously. Except I don't remember any of the details she just said: corn, avocado, cilantro and lime.
DSC_1367.JPG
I said, "Tomato would be good in that."

My mouth said, "Yes!"

So I did it.
DSC_1367.JPG
Sarah found the original recipe in Martha Stewart Magazine, but I couldn't find it on the interwebs so I made it up and wrote it down. Now, I will share it with you.
DSC_1367.JPG
Dressing: LIME a touch of oil and spices. It's all about the lime though.
DSC_1367.JPG
DSC_1367.JPG

Corn Salad

  • 5-6 ears of corn
  • 2 small tomatoes
  • 2 avocados
  • 2 limes
  • cilantro
  • oil of choice [Olive or a mild vegetable oil]
  • salt-n-pepper
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • hot sauce of choice [Frank's has my heart]
Clean your ears of corn and grill it until slightly charred. Let cool and cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife. Chop your avocados [spritz with half a lime so they don't get brown], dice those tomatoes, and snip that cilantro. Combine with the corn and put in a bowl. In a small jar, juice the remaining 1 1/2 limes, add 2 Tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and around 10 shakes [more or less] of your favorite hot sauce. Shake and pour over the corn mixture. Toss gently.
DSC_1367.JPG
I prefer this salad at room temperature, but it will keep for 24 hours in the fridge if you can't finish it off in one sitting. (-:
DSC_1367.JPG
ENJOY!

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment