November 4, 2010

Tomato or Tow-Mah-Tow Soup

DSC_0399.jpg

This is a recipe based on a recipe. Pretty much, I went all pretentious on Pioneer Woman's Sherried Tomato Soup.
DSC_0399.jpg
Yes, I used organic ingredients.

Mostly because I was too lazy to drive the extra ONE MILE and go to Kroger rather than Whole Foods. I totally would have been all over regular tomato juice at the Krog.

First I put a big slab of butter in my pot.

Then I diced an onion.
DSC_0399.jpg
Things that inevitably make me cry: 1. Mr. Holland's Opus, 2. Josh Groban's "I'll be Home for Christmas", 3. The Notebook (Hence the reason I have only seen this once in college. Possibly an over-dramatized reaction due to the fact that I was sitting in my dorm room-alone-watching one of the most beautiful, sappy love stories ever. Where were my friends while I went through a box of tissues?) 4. Billy Elliot 5. Onions.

Tears were still stinging my eyes even after the soup was completely done. It's a bit ridiculous.

Garlic!
DSC_0399.jpg
Tomatoes. This is where I get all organic on you. The only tomatoes that are available in the "Fire Roasted" variety are the organic ones. They make the soup. It is tomato soup after all.
tomato.jpg
Pour in the tomato juice, add the bouillon (I found this fantastic mushroom bouillon in Chicago, but alas, it is not to be found in Durham.), and if things are a little too acidic (taste it!) add a bit of sugar. Bring that pot of delight to a simmer. 
DSC_0399.jpg
Then add the sherry. According to PW this is totally optional. I'm going to tell you why I use it: as a vegetarian, I'm always looking for more flavor to make my food taste interesting.
Meat=flavor, in this recipe that would be chicken bouillon
No meat=find some other source for flavor, in this case sherry

I then take the time to puree the soup. It's not necessary, but I like a smooth-ish tomato soup. I use my blender and fill it half way, cover the lid with a towel and maintain some pressure when I turn it on. 
DSC_0399.jpg
I learned the hard way to keep the towel there. And to apply pressure. The first time I tried this, I was wearing a large quantity of tomato soup and so was the kitchen. No bueno. 

After it's been pureed-or not pureed-the basil and cream go in.
DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg
Give it a stir and you're done! Seriously easy-peasy. You can freeze this or keep it to eat throughout the next 5-7 days in your fridge.

I didn't want to eat an entire buttery, delicious, bready, cheesy grilled cheese sandwich, so I toasted a slice of bread. Then I cut it into cubes and put a slice of cheese on top and stuck the whole thing in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes. 
DSC_0399.jpg
So yummy.

Creamy Tomato Soup
  • 6 Tblsp Butter
  • 1 medium Yellow Onion
  • 3 cloves Garlic
  • 3, 14.5oz cans Fire Roasted tomatoes
  • 1 jar, 32oz (or can) of Tomato Juice
  • 1-3 Tblsp Sugar
  • 2-3 Tblsp Bouillon (veggie, mushroom if you're lucky or chicken)
  • 1 cup Sherry-optional
  • 1 pint Light Cream
  • 2-3 tablespoons freeze-dried Basil
Melt the butter in a soup pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until onion is transparent and add the tomatoes, tomato juice, sugar and bouillon. Bring to a simmer and add the sherry. If you desire a smooth, creamy soup use an immersion blender or puree in batches in your blender to desired consistency. Everything goes back into the pot, add the cream and the basil. You can keep it warm on the stove or stash it in your refrigerator and pack that up for lunch all week! Enjoy (with something cheesy)!

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment