December 7, 2013

Momlene's Sugar Cookies [repost]

Have you read The Thanksgiving Letter over on Awkward Family Photos? Have you seen the follow-up video with Marney? HILARIOUS.

I'm baking with Kate today. We're mixing up Momlene's Sugar Cookies as I type...so by "we" I mean, Kate. They are wicked-good sugar cookies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Maggie's mom's name is Marlene, but Maggie always calls her "Momlene" so I do too.

It's only right.
Momlene made these cookies for Maggie's senior recital a couple of years ago and it's my new favorite sugar cookie recipe.

Instead of granulated sugar it contains...powdered sugar. It's both the best dough you can eat--silky, soft and sweet and makes a tender, delicious cookie.

YUM!

I doubled the recipe since we have an enormous family and my dad is a bit of a sugar-cookie monster.
 


Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Then get to rolling and cutting and baking.


NEKKID COOKIES!!!


So, I have a thing about measuring. Especially when it comes to frosting. I should probably be better about this, but as of right now, I'm just too cocky. I know my icing tastes good whether I measure or not. Please don't hold my arrogance against me.

Buttercream is my favorite flavor-wise. It doesn't exactly harden well, but it just tastes SOOOO good.

And you naked cookies will need some cover-up.


Momlene's Sugar Cookies

2 1/4 C powdered sugar
1 1/2 C butter, softened
2 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
3 3/4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter

Cream sugar and butter. Mix egg with vanilla and add to creamed mixture. Mix in dry ingredients. Chill 2-3 hours. Roll out on a floured surface. Cut in desired shapes - 1/4 inch thick. Bake 8 - 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

Amy's Make-It-Yourself Buttercream

ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE APPROXIMATE
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 tsp almond extract
3-4 Tbsp milk
2 lbs powdered sugar

Cream butter and extracts until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time until desired consistency and taste is reached. Add milk to thin frosting if necessary.

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment