September 18, 2011

Brownies

Brownies!
Glorious brownies!
[You can just imagine me singing and dancing that out. It's kinda like interpretive dance, but more spaz-tastic.]

I went up to say my goodbyes to Oliver Lake this weekend. It was chilly when I arrived on Friday afternoon, so I didn't start a fire or turn on the furnace. I baked brownies.

They warm both the heart and body.
Or not.

I whipped up my easy, one pot batch only I added a little extra salt.
Brownies
Then threw in some of these:
BAM! Caramel? Yes, please.

The thing is the house was so cold that the caramel hardened, that does not make for good eats. Therefore 10 seconds in the microwave is a beautiful thing.

Later in the evening my aunt and cousins arrived and we watched a movie and stayed up late, slept in the next morning and lounged around all day Saturday.

Saturday evening we headed home. As I drove, I was hit with the "THIS IS WHERE I LIVE NOW" slap in the face. I knew it was coming. Between my crazy traveling summer and starting new jobs and moving and all that nonsense, I didn't really feel the emotional sadness related to leaving Durham. I felt sad, but it hadn't really hit me that I'm not actually going back.

It's like the feeling after you graduate college and summer should be over and you should be going back to the dorms to live with your friends and none of that is happening.

I'm happy to live in Fort Wayne. I'm grateful for two good jobs. I'm like my tiny apartment. I'm blessed to be close to family. I love living close to my college friends.

The only thing is, I miss you Durham. I miss the city. I miss the people. I miss the theatre. I miss my clients. I miss you.

That's just what I'm thinking about tonight as  I sit here at the 'bucks.
---------------------------------------------------

Brownies

  • 1 stick Butter, melted in a saucepan
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 cup Flour
Melt the butter and add the sugar to the saucepan cooking for a short time until the sugar just starts to dissolve [2-3 minutes]. Remove from the heat and add the eggs stirring constantly so you don't end up with scrambled eggs. You could temper them, but I'm lazy. Then just add the rest of the ingredients and stir them until combined. Pour into a 9x9 pan and sprinkle the top with Milk Duds. Lick the spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. 

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment