April 28, 2011

Hiking

I think I want to be more outdoorsy than I actually am.

You know? I like nature, I like the sunshine, I like wildlife. I'm just never going to be the kind of person who ends up spending 2 weeks living out of a backpack and sleeping in the rocks. I like hotels too.

BUT, we were in Asheville and it's in the mountains so that required a little hike.
DSC_7744.jpg
A trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway visitors' center to find the best trails was our first stop. It was a gorgeous day; the sun was shining, a light breeze was blowing and at 9:00am it was already gearing up to be warm.  I really wanted to go to some of the waterfalls I'd seen in the area, but they were apparently a 40-60 minute drive away before reading the point where you'd hike from. Alas, we settled for a 20 minute drive to Craggy Pinnacle.
DSC_7744.jpg

Worthy of a short stop and a hike through a rhododendron "tunnel" for the breathtaking view, Craggy Pinnacle is accessed at the Craggy Dome Overlook at Blue Ridge Parkway Milepost 364. The moderate 1.4 mile hike takes you to one of the most spectacular, 360 degree views on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Most beautiful in rhododendron season, usually mid-June. Free.


Sounds pretty good, right? Except we missed the whole "mid-June" thing. 


The drive was lovely. 
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg

Then we came around a bend....
DSC_7744.jpg
...and drove into a cloud.
DSC_7744.jpg
Which we stayed in for the next hour. Yes, that picture is in color.

Not daunted by this never-ending, cold, dreary cloud we hiked.
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg

Until we reached the top. Let me remind you that this is the place of the "most spectacular, 360 degree views on the Blue Ridge Parkway." Get ready for these views.
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg
DSC_7744.jpg
Pretty awesome. 
(I'm sorry for the sarcasm.)

At this point I feel that I should tell you that Megan started out in a tank-top and her swimsuit (luckily her jacked was in the car) and I was severely underdressed in my t-shirt and pants. We were covered in goosebumps. And my hair? A cloud is basically 100% humidity and my curls loved it. 

By the time we got back to the starting place of the hike it had cleared slightly and we were rewarded with this view from the parking lot. 
DSC_7744.jpg

I'm thinking that I liked the drive better than the actual hike. 
DSC_7744.jpg
Weather, 1 
Megan & Amy, 0

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment