October 11, 2011

Summer Pie

Yes, it's fall now, but earlier in the summer I made a pie.

It was good.

You need to have it in your list of things to make when rhubarb is in season.

Plus it's waaaaay too easy to make not to add it to your repertoire.

I started with a pre-made pie crust. Yeah, I'm not a pie crust snob. If it has a fat [butter, shortening, whatev] plus flour with some yummy filling I'm good to go. Truly my pie particularities are starting to shine through.
DSC_0174.jpg
Then I filled it with rhubarb that my grandma ran down the road and picked up from an Amish woman. She literally walked out her front door and sliced it off. Yum!
DSC_0174.jpg
Just dump that in your pie crust...either the one you made or bought.
Next you're going to whip up a custard. For the first time in my life I used a mixture of artificial and regular sugar. I went with the pink stuff.
DSC_0174.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg
All you have to do is combine it, mix it and pour it over the rhubarb.
DSC_0174.jpg
Then bake that baby until the custard is set at 375. Let it cool and enjoy the bounty of the earth!
DSC_0174.jpg


Rhubarb Custard Pie

  • 1 pie crust
  • 2 cups Rhubarb, diced
  • 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk or cream [depending on your level of decadence]
  • 3/4 cup sugar or a combination of sugar and your favorite zero-calorie sweetener
  • pinch of Salt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Make or unfreeze your piecrust. Wash and dice your rhubarb and put in the pie crust. In another bowl mix butter, eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture over the rhubarb. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until custard is set. Serve cool.




Up next? Apples and Fall Pie. 

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment