February 14, 2011

It's Love

Apparently there are some contenders for the greatest love story ever told. I would like to point out to the general public, that the greatest love story is not between a man and a woman.

No, it is between peanut butter and chocolate.
True that.

So, I've been hankering for some PB+chocolate as of late. Usually, my go to is some chocolate chips melted in the microwave with some peanut butter, then stirring in rice crispies and sea salt. Yes, I do this a lot. Except last week, I decided I actually wanted to bake something. Something chocolatey and peanut buttery with lots of good texture.
peanut butter
chocolate chip
Thus, the Monster Brownie was born.

I don't know if this existed previously, it probably did.

I began with my monster cookie recipe. Basically you add each item and stir and in the end--cookie dough. The nine ingredients:
making cookie layer
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 3 Tbsp Butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
  • 1 1/2 cups Oatmeal, I use the quick kind
  • 1 cup Chocolate Chips, you could use m&m's candy coated chocolates as well
cookie dough
Mix, spread and bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. 
bottom layer

While the first layer is in the oven, make the brownies. Six steps this time:
making brownie layer
  • 1 stick Butter, melted in a saucepan
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
  • 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 cup Flour

WHAT?!?! No salt? Nah, I just left it out of the cookies and brownies so I could sprinkle on a layer between the sweetness. 
sea salt
Extra salt, that's how I roll. 
in the oven
Thirty minutes in the oven, good things are happening. 
side of mb
cut
The greatest love ever. 
monster brownies
I may or may not haven eaten enough of the pan to make my mouth hurt. The oatmeal is good texture, but oh...a few monster brownies down the road and that "texture" texturizes your gums. 

Yeah, I don't know why I'm only hanging out with Hank tonight either. 

3 comments :

  1. Brownies of DEATH is more like it for poor 'ol VV. I did salivate a bit when I saw your pics for the brownie ingredients though. Love the stick of buDDer. Mmmm, butter...BTW, I caved: I bought a itty bitty thing of overpriced black truffle compound butter! Yes! How delicious is that?!? I don't know!

    I should be studying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Viola
    Is it wrong that every time I bake with the PB I take a moment and think to myself, "DO NOT TAKE THESE TO VV??" I like you alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are alone with Hank because you know he won't eat any of your brownies! You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete