October 15, 2011

Fall Pie & Apples

Last weekend I went to the apple orchard for the first time ever.
DSC_1108.JPG
EV-AH.
DSC_1108.JPG
These hands that are typing this plucked apples from trees! You may think it looks like I was picking with a picking basket, but I only did that once. It wasn't nearly as satisfying as using my hands. It was amazing. The bounty of the earth. The glorious fruit!
DSC_1108.JPG
I loved it.
DSC_1108.JPG
I went with my Aunt and cousins to Advanced Tree Technology in New Haven. Yeah, I didn't think Advanced Tree Technology sounded like an orchard, but it was! The only hard part of the day was combating all the no-see-ems. Those little buggers ate us alive!
DSC_1108.JPG
At one point this mini-Paris asked if we could go get manicures instead. Hilarious.
DSC_1108.JPG
DSC_1108.JPG
We may have over-picked when we ended up with about...40 pounds. Yes, that's more apples than most toddlers weigh.

So, what was I to do? MAKE A PIE!
DSC_1108.JPG
Of course. (-: This is my second apple pie on here, the first is here. This one was delicious as well. I may have sinned for all you pie makers so just plug you ears for this part, but I made a crust and just smashed it in the pie pan because I was too lazy to roll it out. Truth. Throw in the apples. Top with some delicious crumblies. Delicious pie is in your future!

Apple Pie

Crust

  • 1 1/3 cups Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 cup Butter, cold
  • 3-6 Tbsp Water, ice cold
Mix the first three ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and add enough water until a dough ball forms. You can roll it out, or you could smush and smash it into the pan. Ignore me if you're a pie critic. Or make the crust from the other pie I made. Yeah, do that. 

Filling
  • 5-6 Apples, cored and sliced
  • 1-2 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 2-3 Tbsp Flour
Combine and pour in your crust. It's all good. 

Topping
  • 6 Tbsp Butter, cold
  • 1/2 cup Quick Oatmeal
  • 2/3 cup Brown Sugar
Mix together until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is distributed among the oatmeal and brown sugar goodness. You can't go wrong with brown sugar. Just pile this on top. 

Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes. 


0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment