August 7, 2011

Super Soft Sugar Cookies

Some people prefer a store bought cookie. I am not one of them, but one of my best friends in high school was--she swore nothing could beat a Chips Ahoy! chocolate chip cookie and my brothers think Lofthouse makes a sugar cookie that's the bee's knees.
DSC_0048.jpg
I beg to differ: homemade is best.
DSC_0048.jpg
I don't want to use a box to make brownies, cake or cookies let alone purchase a ready-made product. Of course, there are times when the tube of cookie dough is too much temptation and I can't help it. In my mind (and yes, this is only in my mind because it is soo not the truth) when I know all the ingredients in my baked goods they are therefore healthier.
DSC_0048.jpg
Yes, these are chock-full of butter, shortening, sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Healthy? I think not.
DSC_0048.jpg
I love sprinkles. Sprinkles make me happy and so do songs with ukuleles.


Cookies
Recipe adapted from Cami on Tasty Kitchen
-2 cups Sugar
-1 cup Butter
-1 cup Shortening
-2 Eggs
-1 cup Sour Cream
-1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (milk is an option, but it's not as good)
-1 tsp Vanilla
-1 tsp Salt
-2 tsp Baking Soda
-1/2 cup Cornstarch (optional)
-5-6 cups Flour

Preheat your oven to 350. This makes 5-6 dozen cookies and halves easily [just remember to halve the frosting too]. (-:

Cream the sugar, butter and shortening then add the eggs, sour cream heavy whipping cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the salt, baking soda, cornstarch and flour [cornstarch+flour=cake flour if you were wondering] mixing throughly. Add enough flour to the wet mixture until it is no longer sticky. I test for proper "non-stickiness" by taking the dough and forming a ball, you want it at the point where it just forms the ball and doesn't stick to your hands.

Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and slightly flatten with the bottom of a cup. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Be careful to not over-bake as these cookies will not brown much. Cool before frosting.

If you decide to be lazy-like some people I know-and drop your cookies onto the cookie sheets then they will look like this:
DSC_0048.jpg
Also, they won't bake as evenly. They will, however, still taste good.

Frosting
Recipe adapted from Top Secret Recipes
-1 cup Butter
-1/3 cup Shortening
-1 tsp Vanilla
-3-4 Tblsp Milk
-5 cups Powdered Sugar
-Food Coloring
-SPRINKLES!!!

Beat the butter, shortening, vanilla, milk [or heavy whipping cream if you're going all out], and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. I tend to get it mixed to the point where I think it looks pretty good and then mix it for 2-3 more minutes to really get some air into the frosting. It should be a nice bright white color that you can use in it's white form or add some food coloring if you'd like. Frost your cookies with an ample amount of icing and sprinkle away. This frosting will stay fairly soft so be careful in stacking your cookies.
DSC_0048.jpg
Enjoy!



signature2.jpg

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment