October 5, 2014

pumpkin black bean soup

I dropped off the face of the earth! [Except not really.] I keep telling myself that this is the last super-difficult-crazy-busy-insanely-nutty semester of nursing school. Once next semester [THE LAST ONE!] comes along, we'll know for sure. (-;

Anyway, I have things I want to say and post and do with you, but priorities. Ugh. Sometimes being responsible stinks.

My apartment was FREEEEEEEZING today, so I made soup...and I will now attempt to eat soup for one meal per day until it's warm again. Because I love soup.

And I'd totally marry it.

Freals.
Untitled

This is a soup my friend shared with me several years ago and I forgot about it! WHYYYYY!?! Think of all the winters it was missing from my life! Luckily, Missy re-shared after a facebook plea for all the soups!

pumpkin black bean soup

3 cans Black beans (15 oz), rinsed and drained
1 can Diced Tomatoes (24 oz), with juice
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 medium Onion, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
3 cloves Garlic
S&P to taste
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Tbsp Mushroom Bullion (optional)
1 box Vegetable Broth
1 can Pumpkin Puree (15 oz)
3 Tbsp Sherry (optional)

Soften the onion, celery, garlic, and bullion in the olive oil. Season with S&P and cayenne. While they’re softening add 2/3 of the can of tomatoes and two cans of black beans to a food processor or blender, blend until smooth. Once the onions and celery are softened add the blended beans and tomatoes, the remaining can of beans and reserved tomatoes, broth, pumpkin, and sherry to the pot. Allow the soup to simmer for an hour.

I enjoy this soup served with sour cream or unsweetened greek yogurt or a few crumbles of goat cheese and topped with pumpkin seeds for crunch.
Untitled
It's soup season, y'all! 




0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment