March 6, 2014

Fish Foil Packs

I'm moving everything from the cooking closet [my other blog that has been inactive for over a year] over here to MN365. I'm decluttering. Hope it's not too annoying! (-:

---------------------------------------------------------

DSC_0790.jpg
It's about 8pm**. I'm hungry. Because I'm hungry, I'm also grouchy. I also haven't been to the grocery store in at least a week. Because I'm lazy.

I'm lazy because I don't want to go to Aldi or Kroger. I don't want to go to Aldi or Kroger because I don't want to have to make decisions. I don't want to make decisions because deciding is hard. (-:

WHAT AM I GOING TO MAKE? A freezer meal. No, not that kind of frozen dinner, but a meal I'm going to put together from things in my freezer and pantry.
DSC_0763.jpg
These kinds of frozen things: fish and asparagus.
DSC_0790.jpg DSC_0790.jpg DSC_0790.jpg
The lemon was on it's last day of being acceptable for eating in my fridge. Preparation at it's best. [I'm being sarcastic, in case you didn't know.]

Everything is getting thrown into a foil pack. I started eating foil packs as a kid when we went camping. We took a hamburger patty, sliced potatoes, carrots, onions and s&p and wrapped it in foil, wrote our names on the side with a sharpie and threw those babies on the coals of the fire.

I don't have a fire.
I don't want any hamburger.
I'm not worried about not getting my sharpie-labeled pack.
DSC_0790.jpg DSC_0790.jpg
I'm making my version of the foil pack, wrapping my goodies with two sheets of foil, baking at 350 for about 30 minutes and feeling less grouchy at the end of that time when the food is in my belly.
DSC_0790.jpg
If you don't have lemons, try limes. No limes? maybe a little vinegar? If you don't have fish, try a boneless-chicken breast. If you don't have frozen asparagus, try broccoli.

WHAT I'M TRYING TO TELL YOU HERE IS THAT YOU CAN'T SCREW THIS UP. The foil is going to trap all the goodness inside and give you some moist, delicious meat and veggies no matter what. Cooking in my life is all about putting food you love [and keep on hand] together to make a meal. I like fish, I like asparagus, I like them both with a little lemon goodness and I happened to have all three of those items in my little apartment. That makes me think I can make this quickly and easily.
DSC_0790.jpg
Hank approves. I miss that kitty.

My Freezer Fish Foil Packs

  • One fish fillet
  • Frozen asparagus
  • Olive oil
  • Seasonings
  • Lemon, sliced thinly
Pull out two sheets of foil and place on a flat surface. In the center of the foil place the asparagus, season lightly with salt and one layer of lemon [approximately 2-3 slices], place your fish on top of the asparagus. On the fish give a light splash of olive oil and season with your favorite fish seasonings, salt and pepper. Top everything with another layer of lemons, wrap it all up tightly making sure you pull the ends up so there's not too much leaking. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.



**Technically I didn't cook this at 8pm because I wanted to cook it when I had good light for pictures. I don't want you to look at my pictures and think "that amy SITS ON A THRONE OF LIES!" I would make this [and have] at 8pm when I am hungry and grouchy and lazy and tired.

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment