October 23, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake

It also has a caramel glaze because it wouldn't be decadent enough as just Apple Cinnamon Spice Cake, right?
It's a boun-bun-bundt cake. Please tell me you get my My Big Fat Greek Wedding reference. If you didn't, you are dead to me.

DEAD.

Or not, whatev.

I made this cake for my Grandma's birthday. I need reasons to bake since I don't really have enough people to bake for. An occasion! A birthday! Yes! Also, after I baked this I finally got my oven fixed [my landlord got me a new one--whoo!] and now I can bake at home. (-:

If you don't like carbs--what?!?!--you can have an Atkins bar instead and pretend it's a warm, gooey apple cinnamon cake covered in caramel.

But you'll be the only one at the party, unless you're hanging with my family and then you can join my uncle.

Really, I'd rather you just joined me in the decadence of this:

Apple Cinnamon Cake
  • 3 cups AP Flour
  • 2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp Ginger
  • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 cup Butter, softened
  • 3 cups Granulated Sugar
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 6 Eggs
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3 medium Apples, grated
Preheat your oven to 325. Grease your bundt pan to get it ready for the cake!

In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients [flour, spices, baking soda and salt] and combine thoroughly. In another bowl [or your stand mixer if you have one] add the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla. In about 3 increments add your dry mixture being careful not to over-mix. Using a spoon, fold in the apples.

This part is optional...nn your bundt pan, coat with oil and cinnamon sugar then add pecan halves along the bottom [which will become the top when you turn it out] of the pan. Pour in your batter and bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and turn out onto your cake plate.

Caramel Glaze
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 6 Tbsp Butter
  • 1/4 cup Heaving Whipping Cream
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tsp Salt [use less if you aren't as smitten with salty-sweet as I am]
Add your sugars and butter to a sauce pan on medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugars begin to dissolve and remove from heat. Continuing to stir, add in the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and salt. Allow to cool to thicken slightly and pour over the cake.

Eat. Enjoy. Laugh with friends.

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment