September 23, 2011

Johnny Appleseed Festival

Last Sunday I went to the Johnny Appleseed Festival in the Fort.

Who the heck is Johnny Appleseed? Basically he's a man who traveled around Ohio, Indiana and Illinois planting apple trees.
onions.jpg
I grew up singing the "Johnny Appleseed prayer."Do you know it?

Oh the Lord's been good to me

And so I thank the Lord

For giving me 

The things I need

The sun and the rain and the appleseed

The Lord's been good to me!

Johnny Appleseed, Amen*

*Alt endings depending on where you're singing it
onions.jpg
onions.jpg
People dress up. I am not one of them. Everyone who is selling something or working at the festival has to be in "period" clothing.
onions.jpgonions.jpg
Fresh squeezed cider? Yum! $8 for a gallon? I don't think so, I'm on a budget, it's called "I don't get to buy much until I get my first paycheck."
onions.jpg
Popcorn
onions.jpg onions.jpg
This is the fife band. I like to call them the fifers. Fife. Fife. Fife.

onions.jpg
onions.jpg
Could you ever get into reenactment stuff?
I couldn't.
onions.jpg
Oh look, there's Abraham. Hello, Abraham!
onions.jpg onions.jpg
These were in the area for kids to play. Seriously, I could have stood there for hours watching these kids. The ones who get terrified are the best to watch. And by "best" I mean, I love to laugh at them.

FOOD!
onions.jpg
These onion piles were delicious. And greasy. And delicious. 
onions.jpg
Caramel apples...need I say more? 

I had a great time with Kate, Jacob and Tiana! [But Kate is the only one I really know, so she gets the most credit!]

2 comments :

  1. That looks like the Abraham Lincoln we use during Civil War Days at Conner Prairie.

    Some of those "historic clothings" make me laugh a little bit inside. I have turned into a nerd and a costume elitist. Help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is why I put "period" in quotes, because I definitely questioned their choices. especially the girl who was wearing a bustier and the woman with a mullet.

    ReplyDelete