September 25, 2011

Apples and Jobs

I have pictures of apples I purchased at Johnny Appleseed Festival for $5 for a half-peck. How much can one say about apples?
DSC_0798.jpg
They're beautiful, aren't they?

OK, I'm done. I'm going to tell you about my jobs instead even though one has nothing to do with the other.
DSC_0798.jpg
Yes, jobs. I have two. I like them both. (-:
DSC_0798.jpg
The first job I got was at a fitness center. It's a bit of an upper-class, high-falutin' place where people go to work-out. They also have a bistro, store [selling fitness apparel], physical therapist, lawyer, dietician, child-care center, 8 basketball courts and a spa among other things.
DSC_0798.jpg
I just randomly sent an email to their info email address and heard back within 24-hours that yes, they were looking for a massage therapist! WHOO! [Actually I sent several of these emails and heard back from EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. How does that happen? I interviewed here first and loved all the people, then I interviewed at this other place where the owner basically told me I had no intuition and was not a very good therapist. I didn't work there because I don't believe those things about myself.] I work in the spa at a fitness center. Perks? Gym membership. Whoo! 50% commission. Whoo!
DSC_0798.jpg
Job #2? As I was searching for work, I decided that craigslist was not the way to go. I looked for jobs with specific places of business I was interested in working in. I looked at the local sports teams [Yes, this was primarily because I could meet the athletes, don't judge.], I looked at bakeries, I looked at the public library, I looked at coffee shops, I looked at hospitals, I looked at gyms, I looked at all kinds of things.

I applied for a job with the public library [to clarify: I applied for LOTS of jobs with all kinds of places]. I had an interview and 5 hours later I got a call, that they liked me, they really liked me! Yay! Job #2, procured.
DSC_0798.jpg
What do I do? I'm an administrative assistant for the radio reading service that many people don't know exists. Basically, it's a program that reads and records periodicals so people who are print impaired can hear them over the radio, computer or podcast. Cool, right? That was large part of why I was interested in this job, chellooo--meaningful work. Also, I might get to read someday which is totally rad too.

I was really excited to work for the library because I live about 4 blocks from the downtown-branch. Yup, there are several "branches." My dreams were dashed when the HR person told me my interview would be at the branch up north just past one of the high schools. Yup, I drive 20 minutes to get to work. Luckily, it's totally worth it.
DSC_0798.jpg
So, those are my two jobs and some pictures of apples. What's new with you?

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment