April 27, 2011

Food

Megan and I got back yesterday from a couple of days in Asheville. It's a popular tourist destination in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina and I'd never been, so I wanted to see it.

Here's what it's about:
1. Hippies-Have I ever told you of my love for hippies? I love hippies. Well, at least as much as I love any other person.
2. Hiking-It's in the mountains.
3. BUY LOCAL-These signs were everywhere.
4. Food.

Here's what I have to show for it:
1. Pictures.
2. Food baby.
3. A blister on my left foot where my sandal rubbed from the many miles we walked.

We only went to restaurants recommended to us--of course there were more recommendations than meals we had, so we tried to choose wisely. Everything was delicious!

Stop number 1: Tupelo Honey Cafe
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
OK, those biscuits? If I could make biscuits like that I'd totally have a man by now. Or I'd be huge because I would want at least 2 biscuits a day. The biscuits and jam are their chips-n-salsa, you just get it when you walk in the door and order your dinner/lunch/meal. Brilliant. 
DSC_7881.jpg
Speaking of chips...we started with the Homemade Pimento Cheese and Tortilla Chips. It was served warm, the flavor was good, but I think that warming the pimento cheese loses makes it lose it's texture which is half the deliciousness of pimento cheese. The other half was still present. 
DSC_7881.jpg
Megan had the Misse’s Asheville Veggie Melt it was pretty dang good. 
DSC_7881.jpg
I had a Sunshot Vegetable Plate, which was basically my choice of three sides. From the top: 1. Fried Green Tomatoes with Basil, 2. Honeyed Pickled Beet Salad, 3. GOAT CHEESE GRITS. #1 was my least favorite (such a dinky portion!) and #3 was AMAZING. Also, pickled beets are pretty much to die for in any form, but these were crunchier than I expected and I loved them.

Stop number 2: Early Girl Eatery
DSC_7881.jpg DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
It's for the sugar!
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
Early Girl Benny--Grit cakes topped with tomato, spinach, poached eggs, tomato gravy and avocado, served with toast a biscuit
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
Tempeh Ruben--Baked local tempeh, sauerkraut, russian dressing and swiss cheese (What's tempeh??)
DSC_7881.jpg
Jam. Mushrooms and ants? So cute!
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
Yummy...Yummy...Yummy!

I didn't take any pictures because this is basically a big movie theater where you can eat and I was busy watching The King's Speech (again).

Stop number 5: Sunny Point Cafe
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
DSC_7881.jpg
See these? I am re-creating this. Why? 
DSC_7881.jpg
Chocolate buttery-mousse. YESSSSSS!
DSC_7881.jpg
Huevos Rancheros with tofu chorizo
DSC_7881.jpg DSC_7881.jpg
Hey Megan, wanna go halvsises? A sweet and a savory?

And those were the meals that we ate. But there's more to come from our adventures in Asheville. 

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment