October 1, 2009

A Short Story

By Amy (About Amy)

It was a cloudy Thursday morning, cool since the windows were left open. I had lazily hit the snooze button about 12 times, so needless to say by 7:07 I was rushing to pack a lunch, eat some breakfast and get out the door by 7:15. Although a daily occurrence, this was no small task.

It's chilly and I want some hot chocolate to take to work with me, I thought. (Are thoughts usually in quotations or italicized?)

Being that I had a whole 8 minutes to complete the morning tasks, of course hot chocolate could be added to the list! I'm such a multi-tasker.

Heat up the kettle, grab the to-go cup, look in the fridge....cottage cheese and carrots for lunch?, check the water, find a container to put lunch in, what's for breakfast?, put cottage cheese in the container-Christina's container which happened to be the only clean one-and add the sugar (so I like sugar on my cottage cheese, you wanna make something of it?), water's ready, turn off burner, get the sugar...

This is where the proverbial shit hit the fan. I went to get the sugar (we keep it in a glass container on top of the refrigerator) and had the scoop with a couple of tablespoons on it, when the lid fell. Of course, with a glass lid falling, I tried to catch it. With the scoop of sugar in my hand..and I threw the sugar all over me: down my shirt, in my bra, down my pants, all over my face, stuck in the crevices of my glasses.

In my eye.

Who gets sugar in their EYE??

Me.

It was on of my finer moments.

UPDATE: You should probably know that I found sugar in my eyebrow as I waited for the bus...after work. Do you think anyone noticed??

2 comments :

  1. sounds amazing. truly.

    ps. yes, thoughts are usually italicized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the laugh! I can picture this and it's amazing. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete