September 25, 2009

Smells

Aroma. Scent. Odor.

Sometimes I catch a whiff of something and it takes me back. I love that.

Sometimes I don't know what the smell is, and I don't know what it reminds me of but I still get that warm, fuzzy feeling. You know?

Things I know:

Cinnamon: This reminds me of Michelle's apartment. While we lived together there was always a plug-in with some kind of cinnamony smell. The other day the stairwell smelled like this and instantly *bam* I was in Chicago.

New car + plain tea + stale coffee: This is my Grandma and Grandpa Hoffman's smell. Their car smells like it, their house smells like it when you add in a bit of the scent of cream of mushroom soup.

Freshly mowed grass: I know it's not the same, but it's similar enough to remind me of the first cutting of hay in late spring/early summer.

Things I don't know:
Dotzour (it's a dorm): It's a mixture of cleaning supplies, individual products, and stink all thrown together. (It's inevitable that a dorm will have several people with poor hygiene which means: STINKY.) I'm not sure what makes it smell the way it does, but East Hall never smelled like it. It's a smell I can remember back to my childhood when we trick-or-treated in the dorm.

Water in Fort Wayne, IN: There's this special smell to the water when I shower at my Grandparent's house in the Fort. Maybe it's the softener they use.

Winger Recital Hall: I can't put my finger on it, but I can remember what it smelled like. And the subtle changes with different art work, like the art was carrying its own scent against the building's natural smell.

Smells I just like:

Coffee
Cumin
Peppermint (soft, not like clear the sinuses strong)
Caramel
Dirt
Pot Roast in the crockpot
Softening aromatic veggies in butter
Turkey
Fabric Softener
Softsoap
Dove soap
Garlic
Sweat. Not body odor, just sweat.
Sawdust
Peaches
Strawberries
Babies
Steak
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
the Ghirardelli Store in Chicago
Espresso--not in Starbucks, but in a REAL coffee shop where they grind and press the beans for a perfect shot of espresso
Basil
Balsamic Vinegar
Pumpkin, anything pumpkin
Panera-I worked there for awhile and whenever I put on my old apron I think I can smell the store.
Cedar
Nutella

2 comments :

  1. I would include rain (on warm soil), Fall snap pecan trees, and campfire smoke... yes. these three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I love the smell of rain. I can't believe I forgot it. And the smell of snow. The smells of the seasons changing.

    Campfire smoke, yes, memories of church camp and family cook-outs.

    I have no idea what a "Fall snap pecan tree" would smell like!

    ReplyDelete