August 31, 2009

These are a few of my favorite words.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.
Silver white winters that melt into springs,
These are a few of my favorite....words.

dum-duhn,duhn
dum-duhn,duhn

(anyone else singing Favorite Things from the Sound of Music?)

Words I am currently enamored with:

1. epitome: Did anyone else read this as "eh-pih-tome" rhymes with "home" for years and years before realizing at the age of ahem-23-ahem that the word is "eh-pit-oh-mee"?

2. hypothetical or hypothetically: I remember when I learned this word. Our family was eating dinner several years ago, by several, I think I was in 5th or 6th grade so that would have been about fourteen-ish years ago. Anyway, we were eating dinner when a telemarketer called. I'm the kind of person who hangs up almost immediately on a telemarketer, however, my father is not. He talked to this woman for 15-20 minutes about something and he kept saying, "Hypothetically if I purchase _______ it will do _____ for me." What does "hypothetically" mean? And I learned. My parents are both teachers.

3. pretentious: I love this word, it's like saying something or someone is snobby, rich, bragging, showing off without being negative about it. Like an underhanded compliment.

4. chaos: I think it's something about the way it's spelled. I love reading and writing this word. I don't really say it all that often.

5. apathy: I could spend a lot of time thinking about apathy. The concept of being void of emotion. Not caring one way or the other. BUT, is it true apathy that you're experiencing? If the results came back or a decision was made would you really not care? See, intriguing.

6. intriguing: My sophomore year of college there was this guy who I saw daily. I went to a school of 1200, but I didn't know his name, his major, anything. I merely knew that he ate breakfast at the same time I did in the cafeteria. And he was interesting...more than interesting....intriguing. I dubbed him, "intriguing guy". I wasn't particularly attracted to him, but he was just so interesting. What other freshmen were balding, reading interesting novels at breakfast, eating by themselves, and walking around looking like a stereotypical poet? Exactly. None. So, I watched Intriguing Guy and refused to learn his name or talk to him. It would have ruined the intriguing-ness of him. His name's Zack. Yup, it all went downhill from there. Although, he is a very nice person. And quite interesting; just no longer intriguing.

7. These words make me giggle: poopface, nakey and hiney. Just try to insert them into everyday conversation with a straight face.

(and someday this blog will get better again, I'm going to have to steal Megan's camera, muh-ha-ha-ha but I don't have a problem with that. Give me a day or two.)

0 Comments make my heart happy :

Post a Comment