June 11, 2009

Babies

I have a thing...
baby dogs
baby cats
baby humans
I can't control my desire to want these things in my life. Babies are cute. They're fun. They're snuggly.

And, I like them.

As I was walking up to my apartment yesterday I heard peeping. Aww, baby birds! They're little squeaky voices, the sound of springtime.

Then I looked down.

And this little guy was looking right back at me.

He fell down from his nest.

His brothers and sisters were in that very last hole on the left, so this little baby had survived quite a fall!

He posed for a couple of pictures.

(He has big feet, but don't tell him that because then he might become self-conscious.)


And, then I picked him up to moved him over closer to the building with the hopes that he wouldn't get eaten by one of the cats that wander around our complex or stepped on by another resident.

They say (Who is this "they"? I don't know.) that a mother bird will take her baby back even if you touch it. So I touched. But, how would she get him back up to the nest? On her back? In one of those little white bag things like a stork? By the nape of his scrawny neck like a cat?


As much as I love a baby anything, this one is pretty ugly. Not even that so-ugly-its-cute thing, just UGLY.

He wasn't there when I walked by an hour and a half later, so maybe he survived...maybe?

2 comments :

  1. I think he's a cute sort of ugly and he's lucky that you helped him! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this same sort of thing from the two year olds at work every day.

    "Pick me up! Pick me upppppp!"

    ReplyDelete